Domestic Violence Statistics
Some facts, figures and statistics on domestic violence in the United States.
- 1 IN 3 WOMEN HAVE BEEN VICTIMS OF PHYSICAL VIOLENCE BY AN INTIMATE PARTNER WITHIN THEIR LIFETIME.
- 1 in 4 women have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- 1/3 OF ALL EMERGENCY ROOM VISITS BY WOMEN ARE DUE TO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.
- Nearly 3 in 10 women in the US have experienced rape, physical violence and/or stalking by a partner
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- HALF OF ALL THE WOMEN MURDERED IN THE US ARE MURDERED BY AN INTIMATE PARTNER.
- 1 in 7 women have been stalked by an intimate partner during their lifetime to the point in which they felt very fearful or believed that they or someone close to them would be harmed or killed.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- THE # 1 KILLER OF PREGNANT WOMEN IS MURDER, BY THE FATHER OF THE BABY.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.
- 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon.
- THE PRESENCE OF A GUN IN A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SITUATION INCREASES THE RISK OF HOMICIDE BY 500%
- Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior.
- Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.